Monday, June 21, 2004

Update

Well I'm back from session 2 of business school. I'm waiting for the grill to warm up while Angelike makes her way home, so I'll write a few notes.

I'm enjoying school. I'm focused on a few things: 1) learning the things that are new for me 2) sharing what I can of what I know with my classmates 3) learning the social/ softer skills of business.

The book learning I can get from the books. I can't get the interaction from books.

I'm trying to learn from my undergraduate mistakes of not trying to get to know my profs and staying away from my classmates. I left college knowing few people and virtually no faculty. I've had to ask myself why that was. Some of it was circumstance, for sure. When most hours are scheduled, it's hard to get out. Much of it was choice. I didn't know how to fit into a social scene I didn't understand or feel comfortable with. And it wasn't until my senior year that I figured out exercize was critical for keeping myself on an even keel.

But a lot of it had to do with my distrust of strangers. I feared new people, and didn't know how to relax and trust that people will actually like me as me. I still fight that impulse, but at least I can recognize it in myself and can act to counter it.

There are a lot of really interesting people in my class. A few have struck me as particularly interesting. One guy is very smart and has been in large manufacturing environements, and has interesting insights into taking a very analytical approach to parts of business I've never dealt with (logistics, inventory, process efficiency, etc.). There are some exceedingly nice people, too. Most are genuinely curious and helpful. They're a good group. We've got a general practice MD from rural OR. My study group is cool. One of the guys is the patent attorney for a bitoech. Has a degree in engineering. He's soft spoken, straight forward, curious, fair and bright. All in all, I'm happy.

It's odd for me, because the two topics where I'll have the most to contribute, Marketing and Stats, are first term. I haven't made a peep in accounting, and haven't said much in econ, for that matter, either. On one hand, I want to contribute where I can. On the other hand, I don't want people to think me a show off. And on the third hand, I can't be concerned with perceptions. I have to trust that being myself I'll do fine. So I try to make a good contribution each class in marketing and stats,and then keep my mouth shut.

In rowing news, I did a 21,097m half marathon this morning. It's concept2's challenge for today: 21k for the 21st, the summer solstice. School's beginning has kept me away from my double sessions, so I'm trying to get back on the erg again. At this point, head season is my top priority. So I'm going back to longer distances.

Angelike is considering making some career moves, so stay tuned.

That's all for now.