Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Barefoot in Shanghai

(Written on Saturday, Oct 1, 2005)

On my trip back to the hotel after lunch today a classmate accidentally stepped on my flip flop while I was walking. This led to a complete flip flop blow out. My right flip flop was obliterated 4 blocks from the hotel. I had a few options:
  1. Hop back on 1 flip flop.
  2. Shuffle back on 1 flip flop and a flip flop sole.
  3. Walk with one flip flop and one bare foot.
  4. Walk barefoot.


Now the streets of Shanghai aren't quite what you'd want to put your bare anything on. But it seemed most expedient, and this is why God made showers. So I walked through the lobby of the hotel barefoot. I got some looks.

My flip flops, which I bought in AZ on my grand canyon trip, in the company of friends, perished in dramatic fashion in Shanghai, in the company of friends. Let it be remembered that they served me well, and went down fighting. Long live the flip flop.