Saturday, July 03, 2004

Saturday

I pulled a double session this morning rowning. First practice with the masters guys. My coach put me in 2 seat in a 4, since he's noticed I'm getting frustrated stroking all the time and having bad rows. If it's gonna be bad, I don't want to be in stroke seat since stroking during a bad row makes me row worse. So I was in 2, but it wasn't going well. The guy in stroke almost paused at the catch, and the guy in 3 wanted to rush like mad. So he'd rush up, get to the catch and have to either 1) wait for the stroke or 2) catch way early. It was a mess. Towards the end, I got switched into stroke and things went better.

Then I jumped ina 4 with some of the college guys who are training out of the BH this summer. Big guys. I thought it'd go well, but I realized there are a couple novices geting switched into the boat. And they really weren't that hot. They did ok, but the difference in style between me and the good college guys was tough enough. Having novices with little boat feel wasn't great.

Came home, and A is having a classmate over to study. So I'm doing homework too. I made mushroom pizza. I ripped off recipe ideas from a shi-shi restaurant in SF: Sage & mushroom white pizza with truffle oil. It's quite good. I should have put the oven up to 425 or 450, though. Crust was a little soggy. I'm not sure how one puts pizza onto a hot pizza stone (assuming the crust is fresh). I'm sure pre-heating the stone would help.

I'm doing stats homeowork.

My marketing project is going pretty well. I'm excited. It's a new topic for me: restaurant marketing. I get to apply my analytical skills and experience to a new topic, so I'm excited. I've got a very good survey going out. I think we've hit on a great marketing idea: Get in good with the local concierge network. Their referral power is huge. The amount of business they can send your way is big enough that it's worth while to really spend some time and money courting them.