Monday, January 10, 2005

EEeek! Fascists...

I really thought the "love it or leave it" folks had goose stepped back into their caves. Apparently not.

"I will DEFEND the CONSTITUTION of AMERICA, and any of you COMMIE LIBERALS who say anything BAD about it, will be SHOT."

"And I will USE my genuine revolutionary war musket to shoot you, as secured to me by the Second amendment. And I will use this pesky amendment number one for wadding paper. Goddam noisy hippies. Running around saying what they think. What do they think this is, the USSR?"

I exaggerate. But only a very little.

Folks, if your ideas are self evidently superior, then you need not fear folks shouting out weaker and different ones. Unless you think the masses are stupid sheep, which remains a distinct possibility. But if you'd rather the opposition shut up and go away, than give you a chance to engage them on the merits of their arguments, it's a good sign that the opposition is onto something.

If the Democrats in congress hadn't all decided to abdicate their responsibility as a check against totalitarianism in the chicken-little like post 9/11 stampede of frightened ungulates that America became (home of the brave, my ass), folks like Moore wouldn't have much of an audience. But since the elected opposition has wussied out, the un-elected opposition has to do something.

If Moore didn't love America, he's sure got the means to leave and live elsewhere. And since he still lives here, we have to think that he likes something about the country. I don't always agree with the guy and his tactics, but I do believe he wants to make the country better.