Saturday, January 08, 2005

Why hippies need science lessons

I've been on a real rant tear lately, but what the heck. Things happen in 3's. So after this rant, I'll have to post something non-rant. But since I have one more to go...

I can't take it anymore. Organic. Let's define that word, shall we? Organic chemistry refers to the branch of chemistry that deals with carbon-based molecules and their reactions and properties. TNT (Trinitrotoluene - a really cool looking molecule - bilateral symmetry, benzene ring, lots of double bonds..) is organic. So is petroleum (it's a soup of many different organic molecules... Made out of the long dead carbon-based leftovers of living things...). Plastic, polyester, soap, and most pesticides: all organic. At least, scientifically speaking, ORGANIC.

"That's nice, science boy, but normal humans don't use that word that way, and it's not fair to expect every day people to use an every day word with specific meanings in one technical context correctly."

Maybe. Maybe it's unfair to expect people to understand these things. But then let me ask, what is the "ORGANIC" of which every day people, and specifically communal farmers and upper middle class white soccer moms, speak? I do think it's reasonable to expect people to use a word to mean SOMETHING that's clearly definable. The scientific definition of organic is clear. I'm open to an alternate clear vernacular definition... But is there one?

If we take "organic" to mean "occurring in nature", this doesn't clarify much. Petroleum occurs in nature. So do DDT, latex and TNT, actually, which are created by a very interesting animal called Homo sapiens. This natural/ unnatural definition just transfers the discussion to the issue of whether humans are "natural". Western culture (and some Eastern ones, too, I'd bet) has drawn this division between humans and other living things. (Adam and Eve. God made Nature, and put Man into Nature and gave him dominion over Nature, to screw it up as he saw fit) Many native folks and cultures don't draw this distinction, brother bear. So "natural" is a fuzzy. It doesn't clear up "organic". It just begs cultural assumptions. I can still call DDT organic. I'm sure the local farming commune would disagree...

So what's "organic"? If we say it's "stuff made without relying on man made substances for fertilizer or pest control", that sounds a heck of a lot better. Of course, then we have to ask whether compost is a man made substance. And whether irrigation provides man made rain. Now don't get me wrong: When I garden, I use compost and water and that's about it, save some miracle grow to get my seeds off to a healthy start. But I'm not asking questions about whehter composting is good, but about what the hell "Organic" means. Back to compost: If we argue that compost really isn't man-made, since we just put a bunch of naturally occurring stuff together under the right conditions and let nature take its course, we could use the same description for many substances created in the lab: "We just brought the right naturally occurring substances together under the right circumstances, and let nature take its course. Now I have some TNT. Let's go use this organic substance to organically harvest some taters and organically control the size of that prarie dog colony."

So by the above definition, the only truly organic produce would be non-cultivated. And by this notion, the stuff in the supermarket labeled "organic" doesn't actually qualify.

I think I've made my case. People use "organic" at worst wrong, and at best in an ambiguous and hence meaningless way. So, please, hippies: Let's find a new word, or use the words we have correctly? Please?