Friday, March 25, 2005

Catholic Mysteries 2

Catholicism: God is all knowing. He knows everything that ever has and ever will happen.

Human: He even knows what I'm going to have for breakfast tomorrow?

Catholicism: No detail of your life is unimportant to God.

Human: Yeah, but I have three kinds of cereal at home. How does he know what I'll pick?

Catholicism: God knows you so well, he knows what you'll choose.

Human: I thought I had freedom to choose things. That's why I'm on the hook for all this sin stuff.

Catholicism: You do have free will.

Human: But if God knows what I'm going to do, that seems an awful lot like what I'm going to do is already determined.

Catholicism: No, you do have free will. It's just that God knows what you'll do.

Human: But it seems like I could change my mind and fake God out or something. If I'm truly free, it just seems like I ought to be able to surprise people. Being predictable doesn't make me feel too free. And if God knows what I'm going to do, why does he send stuff at me that he knows I'm gonna screw up? It's like giving first graders a test on matrix algebra. What's the point?

Catholicism: This is a mystery. We can't comprehend the mind of God.

Bill Gates: Everyone who codes in C++ and VB will find our products very easy to use.