Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Chicken Mole

I love chicken mole.

One of the things I like most about California is authentic Mexican food. And mole sauces are as good as it gets. Chocolatey savory spicy sweet warm earthy perfection. With slow cooked meat. Proof that Homer Simpson was on to something when he said, "If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them so tasty?"

In Denver, there is the Savory Spice Shop, and they have the most amazing flavor creating substances on earth. They have a mole seasoning package, and for about $5 for 4oz, it's a steal.

So I picked up two 4 oz packages for gifts, one for friends across the bay, one for a co-worker in London who professed her love of Mexican food, and her ignorance of mole. I shall take it to her in April when I go over next. Oh, and a full pound for myself. I'm not screwing around.

For K I picked up some amazing eastern, middle eastern and Indian things.

I sampled their powdered cheeses. Unreal.

We only had a few minutes on the meter, so I had to be surgical in my shopping, but next time I want to take an hour to try every taster in the place, save, perhaps, the habanero powder. I don't need to test the pulverized pain in a jar, thanks.