Thursday, May 12, 2005

Fight the power

I was in SF yesterday for an interview and walked past the Moscone Center (big convention center in SF) where there were some rather interesting protesters.

There were a handful of men on either side of the street holding signs and passing out leaflets to those who approached for one. I'll do my best to remember the signs:

"I was too young to consent to circumcision"

"End male genital mutilation"

Their signs got me thinking: "Right on, brother!" If foreskins were somehow harmful, we'd have evolved not to have them. Plenty of cultures throughout the world don't cut off parts of their baby boys' most sensitive regions, and their civilizations fail to crumble, and their boys grow up to be fully operational baby making machines.

If the genders were reversed, if we cut off parts of baby girls, don't you think the feminists would have put an end to it by now?

My male children, should I have any, shall not suffer "the big snip". When they ask why mine looks different from theirs, I'll explain that everyone's looks like his when they're born, but people used to think it was ok to cut off parts of them to make them look like mine. I didn't let them do that to him, and if he wants to, when he's older, he can choose to do with his as he likes.

Hello, my name is Ken, and my foreskin was cut off without my consent.