Monday, December 19, 2005

Ohm...

I'll post about the weekend soon. It was great. I came back in a really tranquil state of being, which I really needed.

During my drive to work I turned off the radio, thinking, "Why must I distract myself? Why can't I just be present in the driving?" Too much Northern California? Maybe. But that's where I'm at today.

Then I get a lovely communication from my wife threatening to reveal things about my past to my extended family in a "Christmas letter." Super.

There are things that I did that I'm not proud of. I wish I had handled a lot of things differently.

Courtesy of this weekend, I think I was able to formulate an enlightened response, in which I acknowledge that she can do what she likes, but that sending such a letter will not only hurt me, but my family as well. I also point out that there's nothing I can ever do that would keep her from revealing such things to them now or in the future. I hope that she'll understand that, because it's always possible, and because I have no power over it, I won't live in fear of it. Blackmail doesn't work if you choose not to fear the consequences of non-compliance.