Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Candor inhibitor

For better or worse, I've let some folks with whom there are less than platonic relationships know about my blog.

It's perhaps, in the long run, collosally dumb, but it always seems a good idea at the time.

In the short run, it's easy intimacy for me: Read up on Ken. There'll be a quiz later.

But in the longer run, it's caused me to be less than candid here about that arena of my life. I thought it wouldn't matter, but it has. Since I can't write on that topic honestly, I just don't write on it at all.

And I'd like to write about it. But I don't want to launch a separate blog. I'm done with the bifurcation of self.

This wouldn't be a problem if I didn't volunteer that I blog. But in many cases, it comes up. I suppose I could try not to mention it. But so often my "thought of the day" is something I want to talk about, or I read something interesting elsewhere and want to talk about it, and it comes out that I blog.

Actually, that's a cop out. I could keep it secret if I wanted too. I'm just being lazy and short-sighted.

I think I should probably:
  1. Decide what matters more to me: Freedom or openness
  2. Stop telling still more people about the blog and compounding the problem
  3. Get up the guts to just write it, and let the chips fall where they may. People have the freedom to choose not to read. It's not up to me to protect them from it.

That said, I shouldn't be chicken and let people learn the hard way that I'm going to get more honest about my life here. I have no secrets, but people don't have the details.

What do we think?