Friday, November 11, 2005

Crushing Productivity One Call at a Time

God, do I hate dealing with big companies, especially when I need them to do something out of the ordinary.

After my China trip, my cell phone stopped responding to the charger. Having the charger slide in the charger port elicited no response whatsoever. My phone got frigid.

And it wasn't the charger. The wall charger, the phone charger, neither did anything for my phone. Classmates said it was probably the battery.

So I slid the brains of my new phone back into my old phone's body, charged it up and carried on. I tried to go to the T-mobile store where I got the now defunct new phone, but the store in my vicinity is conveniently open from 10 am to 6 pm. Given that I board a ferry at 7:50 am and disembark around 6:30 pm, that wasn't going to work.

Eventually, during work hours, I popped into a store. I hoped they'd fix it or at least give me a new battery or phone or something. Nope. Call T-mobile and they'll send you a new one. Here's the number.

I call the number as I board the ferry this morning. I figure: How long can it take for them to understand the situation and send me a new one?

Are you sure it's the battery?

Yes.

It could be the phone.

It's not.

Open up the back and tell me if the connections look ok.

They'e fine.

Did you take it to a store?

Yes.

Did they try to charge it?

Yes.

Did it work?

Would I be calling if it did?

Ok, the phone is under waranty but because it's a betery that's the manufacturer's problem so I'm going to transfer you to Motorola.

Great.

Are you sure it's the battery?

Yes.

Did you put in a new battery to see if it works with a new battery?

If I had a second battery, I'd not have a problem....

It took me a total of 40 minutes to get Motorola to agree to send a new battery to me so I can send the old one back to them. I was on the phone before, during and after my entire trip.

Insane.