Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Back from Christmas

The Yosemite trip went well. The drive out was uneventful, the accomodations were adequate. I got a somewhat later than intended jump on the trail on Christmas day for the skiing, but this was providential.

The challenge of switching form one sport to another is that the cardio fitness translates, but there are always little muscles one uses in the new sport that one doesn't use in the core sport.

In the case of cross country skiing, that muscle would be the hip flexors that allow you to raise your thigh and stride forwards. We use them a little in rowing, but not to the extent they are used in cross country to kick the gliding leg forwards.

By the end of my trek, I was feeling the hip flexors burn, and while I think I could have covered even more distance than I did, it was probably good that I didn't over do it. I wore the heart rate monitor, and over ~3.5 hours and (I'm estimating) 15 miles I burned 2900 Calories. So it was some good work.

My camera crapped out on me, so I only got one really good photo. I had the trail largely to myself. Most of the time I didn't see anyone else. The snow was thin and kind of crappy. It was old snow and roughed up a bit. Early on in the trek there were many footprints of hikers and snowshoers.

On my return trek, it may have been that the temperature dropped and the snow got better, or it may have been that I finally got the mechanics right, but I was moving very well. Heading in, I noticed other skiers ahead of me, and the racer in me took over. I cruised up to them, caught them, and passed them. I did this successively and had a string of "targets" all the way in.

I'd like to try "skate" skiing next time. It's harder work, but it's very fast. I think I can handle it.

I need to get back on the rowing training this week. It's hard to motivate, but I need to get back on it. The cold is gone now, so there's no reason not to.

It's a bit lonely here. Many of my friends are away for the holidays.