Monday, February 06, 2006

Sunshine police

Generally speaking, I try to place the needs of the many above the needs of the few, even when I'm starring as "the few".

And I understand how, on airplanes, having the window shade up makes the cabin brighter and the recently released (but not very commercially successful) movie seem more dim.

But I choose the window seat for a reason. Part of that reason is that it's easier to sleep with something against which I can rest my head. But a big part of it is that I like sunlight.

When they announce the movie start, they ask people to lower their shades if they're not enjoying the view. I do enjoy the view.

Shortly after take off I was awakened by the slam of my shade going down at the hands of one of the attendants, setting the plane to rights for the impending trip. The light Nazi. No sunshine for you.

I re-opened my shade. But now when she comes by, I feel the need to be looking out the window actively enjoying the view. "See, bitch, I need my shade open". Truth is I just like the sunshine coming in. It feels good. I spend too much of my time away from windows and sun. I need the little that I get.