Friday, September 07, 2007

Yeah. Progress.



I really do wish this were all that simple. That things were clearly better, or it was clearly time for us to remove the military presence, and all would be well.

I think both are untrue. No progress, and all will not be well after we leave. I think the question is, do we make things better or worse by keeping troops there? Are we trying to hold off an inevitable deterioration? If collapse and infighting are inevitable, do we have a moral obligation to try to prevent it, since we kind of put Iraq on this new path of darkness (as opposed to the old path of darkness)?

I'm not sure I'm saying "Bring the troops home now". But I am saying that congress needs to take over and prevent more of the same. Maybe we can get the UN to try to keep the humanitarian crisis in Iraq from getting too disastrous?