Saturday, December 03, 2005

Good morning

This morning I got put in the 4-, which I hadn't rowed in months since I'd been racing in 8+'s all fall. Now that we're in training mode, the mix is on.

I was in 2, so my job included essentially thinking for the boat from a technical standpoint. Bow was in charge of steering. I was in charge of giving orders, setting focus. And pulling hard.

We had a great row. Had some very talented guys in the stern pair, for sure. We were faster than one of our 8+'s, and we were faster then the 4+ that was about 15 years younger than my crew, on average. They had 3 guys in their mid 20's and a 50 something (who's good). We were a couple 40-somethings, a late 50-something and me (31). Experienced oarsmen understand that, when the oar is not in the water, the best thing you can do to make the boat go is nothing. Just be still, be calm, be relaxed, gentle, sensitive, and trust the other guys to do the same. Then, when the blades are in together, explode with every ounce of strength you have. Great division of action from inaction, combination of power and grace.

It was a clear morning, cool, crisp, clear. The sun was low on the horizon, bright in our eyes as we rowed west. Rowing east, the mountain loomed behind us, the low sun casting shadows on the wrinkled ridges of the mountain, revealing the topography with light.

On the dock it was all smiles. We row seeking mystical moments like today. Calm, centered, driven, forceful and fast.