Thursday, December 01, 2005

To be fair

I'm not thrilled with work right now. It's also clear that folks have put 2 and 2 together and can see that I'm gonna have a brand spanking new MBA in just over a week. Am I thinking of moving on? Hell yes.

And I've known I'd move on since about week 6. So I've never really put down roots. I do this a lot in my life. I don't cultivate relatioships with people who I don't think will be in my life in the long run. I'm really bad at it. I could pull out the violin music and the victim card and claim that it's because I moved around so much as kid. I learned all relationships are temporary. But especially at work.

Work is such a screwed up environment for relationships. Do people want to get to know you, or are they trying to get some info? Are they telling the truth, or do they have their public face on?

I find I only develop working firendships with people who haven't drunk the coolaid. People who can look at the firm with a critical eye. Not that I seek out the butter and cynical, but if you only spout the corporate line, I'll find you disingenuine or naive, and not waste time with you.

Given these things, I've really not gone out of my way to build relationships. Many factors. Few people not giving the company line. And I've decided I'm outta here from about week 6. But maybe I haven't given the firm a fair chance.

That said, maybe the firm shoulda tried harder.