Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Car saga

Yesterday morning I dropped my car off at the dealer to have them fix the leak in the roof. They shuttled me to the ferry terminal, and I just made the 8:20 boat. Since they closed at 6, I planned to get the 4:55 boat home, earlier than anything I ever take. I left work at 4:40 and jogged most of the way to the terminal. I just made the boat.

I called the dealership about 5 minutes before I docked. 5:20.

We landed, and it was raining. I didn't have my umbrella. I was wearing just my fleece vest, which is fine for my daily life in which I'm never outdoors for more than 15 minutes.

At 5:40 I called again. I was assured a van was on the way.

5:50 comes and goes. Shuttles from other dealerships are arriving to pick up customers on the boat that arrives at 6. The boat I didn't take, so that I could be here before the dealership closed.

6:00. The next ferry arrives. At this point, I, outdoors boy, have become cold and damp, standing in the bits of mist blowing around under the ferry terminal's roof. I have also become angry.

6:10. The shuttle finally arrives. I direct the driver on the fastest route to the dealership.

They wanted to keep my car overnight, given the work that needs to be done. Service manager told me part of the motive was "with the rain coming" it wouldn't be a good idea to have the car out in the rain for any more leaking.

I needed to get my workout gear out of the car. Which was parked in their lot for repairs. Outside.

So at least today they'll be able to see what I mean by the leak.

I have a loaner till Thursday.