Wednesday, April 12, 2006

It's poison oak

Or so thinks the doctor. It's not on my body, as a pharmaceutically and medically informed reader pointed out. And I was in the woods near some of it last weekend. It's a native plant of California. So the only thing they do to keep it in check at state and national parks is cut it back when it get on the trails.

It seems that I just need to look at poison oak to get some.

Doctor told me that there are two schools of thought on how it spreads on the body. One is the old "you scratch it, then you touch yourself elsewhere". The other is some notion of systemic reaction. I think I vote for the latter, because I don't seem to get it in just one spot.

Got my prednisone scrip, with enough left over to make sure I've got ammo for the next time I get poison oak. Because there will be a next time.

He also, being a good doc, suggested I come in for a physical some time, since, being the demographic I am, I never really have. I can't rememeber when I had my last physical. Why? One word: "Cough". But I do have a few things I'd like a doc's opinion on.