Saturday, May 13, 2006

Spark?

Went on a Match.com date last night. I freely admit I probably should have canceled it. I only had energy to actually meet for the drink and then to go. But that was all I promised. I just didn't want to cancel it, because it was hard enough to come by.

She's exactly what I'd want for an outdoor activity companion. Road bike, mountain bike, ski. She drives a Subaru with a roof rack with a bike mount and a ski mount. My kind of girl. ER doctor, clever, and down to earth. Never ran out of things to talk about.

She's tall, (yay) blonde (Oh well). I didn't feel any spark. No "Gee, I wonder what you look like naked." I'm sure we'd get along. I bet she looks hot in a bikini. But last night, I didn't feel much attraction. Good conversation, and I'm sure we could have a lot of fun on the weekends. I have no sense if we'd have any carnal chemistry.

The date ended oddly. She noted I wasn't doing anything to extend the evening, asked me if I was tired (she knew about my surgery). I told her that I was done, and apologized for not being 100%. I walked her to her car, she dropped me at mine. We got our signals crossed, I gave her an odd kiss on the cheek and a totally awkward hug. I just laughed it off.

What to do next? I'm curious whether, with time, I'd come to like her more, or whether there needs to be carnal chemistry from the get-go.

I still have no idea how to make a first date kiss happen, not that it's my sole responsibility, and not that I felt it last night or tried. Just saying, I still have no skills there.