Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Oh, right, my career

I've had my work life on cruise control.

This is partially because I've chosen to focus on getting the divorce done, but also partially because my job gives me little incentive to go above and beyond. There's no variable component to my compensation. I work my ass off, or I do nothing, and I make the same. And with little prospect of promotion, and no real return on stressing myself out, why bother? It astounds me that they get people to kill themselves here. For what? One really has to naively believe the company will get bought and the options will actually be worth something. But any reasonable valuation of the company and a knowlegde of the shares outstanding puts a low cap on the maximum upside from the firm getting bought. If it gets bought. I'd trade my options for more salary.

But as a wise friend pointed out, I might care about references some day. True. So I need to attend to that.

With the divorce looking to be under control (albeit, expensively so), my focus is turning back to making a job change of some kind. I'm having an exploratory conversation on Thursday.

I only have abstract goals for the next job: Management, work-life balance, growth opportunity, and a fair salary. I add the last only because I'm aiming to kill off my business school debt as fast as possible. I don't mind living like a monk for a few years to get myself to a place free from the ongoing debt obligation quickly.

So watch this space. I'm going to move on.

I envy people who love their jobs. I don't think I've ever loved my job. I've just done things that other people seemed not to be as good at because it would lead to security and making money. But I'd love a job I find inherently rewarding. I'm just not sure what that would be.

Satirist.

That's my dream job.