Sunday, September 10, 2006

Definitely sick

Hit the boat house yesterday for 3 x 20', knowing that I was probably ill.

Last time I did the workout, I managed 1:56 splits for all of them. This time, it was clear that wasn't going to happen. It's a side benefit of being an athlete: Workouts are a great barometer of health. I struggled to make 1:56.3 for the first, then 1:58 and 1:58.5 for the next two. It's all good. Torched 1100 calories in an hour.

On Tuesday I sat down to do my first 20 min test piece in ages. I hoped for 1:50 average, and managed 1:49. So that's very encouraging.

My team has an entry in the Head of the Charles, in the age 40+ 8+. Coach's tentative lineups give me a good shot at that boat, but I need to put up some serious numbers. He wants a 20 min test piece in by the 19th of this month. If I can get down into the 1:47's, I'll be in good shape. I think he just wants a good quantitative excuse to boat me. I aim to give him one.

So in the short run, I'll train to make the boat. But in the longer run, I need to train to win the race. That means 3x 15', 10 x 500m, 10,000m training pieces and 20 min tests. Must lean on whatever aerobic foundation I have right now to build anaerobic capacity for the 20 min piece.

I feel a bit better today. I'm sure I'll be back to being fine by Tuesday or so.