Thursday, December 07, 2006

Do I look like a gay college student?

Walking along the Embarcadero to the ferry terminal last night, a grey mini van with several children's car seats in it pulled over from traffic with its passenger window down and its driver leaning over to speak out of it.

I figured he needed directions. I approached the car.

"Want a ride to Berkeley?"

Not what I expected. I shut down the navigation program in my brain, which was queued up and ready to respond. Caught off guard, I managed, "I'm going to Marin"

A woman walking next to me witnessed the exchange.

"That was odd."

"I don't understand why he did that."

"He must have thought you were looking for a ride, or he was attracted to you."

I need to stop wearing a backpack and being pretty, I suppose. Bound to cause an accident.