Tuesday, October 28, 2008

My imaginary friend says I should deny your civil rights

I regret not having gotten more deeply involved in this sooner, but it looks like the Band of Anachronist Religious Kooks for Ignorance, Not God, and Malicious Aggressive Defamation (B.A.R.K.I.N.G. M.A.D) have gotten well organized to try to amend CA's constitution to specifically take away a civil right from a specific group of people. Specifically, they want to prevent folks who'd like to marry someone of the same sex from doing so.

Seems the usual suspects (Catholics, Evangelical Christians) and particularly Mormons have gotten involved. In the article, the Mormons feel particularly singled out, but they must be bad at marketing math: If a group makes up 2% of the population and 40%-70% of the financial power, you go after them.

So I sent the No on 8 folks some money. I hope it's not too little too late. Because of where I live, and the scant mainstream media I consume, I hadn't heard enough of the Yes on 8 ads to realize they had a meaningful presence.

Then when I was in Sacramento this weekend, I saw them. The usual Children of the Corn looking blonde well groomed white people with Yes on 8 signs on a busy road. As I drove by, I gave them the finger. 30 years from now, they'll be the white people with the racist signs opposing racially integrated schools in the 1960's.

I've been so focused on the national election, I hadn't focused enough on this.

I don't really know anyone who's going to vote Yes on 8, so I'm not sure how far my own personal outreach will work, but I'm happy to do what I can to shoot down this attempt to legalize bigotry. Consider sending them one day's worth of personal luxury (Starbucks? Wine? Driving instead of public transit) to shut this down.