Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Why I'm not a research scientist

I, like many dorky boys, while growing up envisioned myself a brilliant scientist, discovering things that changed the world. In high school, I thought I'd be a genetic engineer. Because the world needs more glow in the dark fish.

And then I got to college. Summer term, molecular biology. The entire summer's worth of lab sessions was one long experiment. Using enzymes to put a key piece of DNA into a plasmid, getting the plasmid into the bacteria, growing the bacteria on anti-biotic laced media that would kill all but those who had the desired gene. Harvesting the bacteria, lysing the cells, putting them in a centrifuge to condense the DNA down to a pinhead sized granule.

And then losing that granule on my lab bench some place, because I'm not so skillful with a pipette.

Fuck science.

I have great appreciation for those with the patience to do it. I am not one of them.

I read this today, and it reminded me of much of my undergrad lab experience.

CS is the right choice.