Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Healthy night

The 14 month old downstairs from me is shrieking his head off as I write. Charming.

I just finished Monkeyluv, book sent to me by my mom for Christmas. It's a behavioral biological look at humans. So I'm sure there's some deep wiring that makes me really want to make that child stop shrieking at all costs. Of course, I regularly consider stuffing the brat in a trash can as an option. Which doesn't strike me as particularly adaptive. Of course, it's not mine, and I don't have any genetic interest in his continued existence.

I went to the boat house tonight after work to do my 20 min erg test. I averaged 1:47.4/500m, and it wasn't that hard. That's the best time I've put up in many years. So nice to be done with business school so I can focus on more important matters. Like training. My record while out here is a 1:46.7/ 500m average. I think I can take that out by the end of February. This also implies I could take a shot at my record for the 10k, which is a pace of around 1:50.4/500m. I hope to break 1:40.0/500m for the 2k at the Peninsula Indoor regatta, which my coach is making us do. I hate 2k on the erg. Hate it. It's sheer pain. Basically, imagine sprinting for a mile and a half. Seriously. That's what we do.

Oh, good, the brat is shrieking again.

I like kids, really. Snuggly babies. My favorite little L. I like puppies, too. Shrieking tantrums, however, aren't that endearing. I'm sure I can discreetly offer his mom a book with a solution for shrieking kids. Preferably one written during the middle ages. Too much black bile in the boy, I say.

In other news, M, from last weekend called me while I was on the ferry. I was a bit surprised. Didn't recognize the number. It was awkward, because I'm there on a boat full of strangers...

(OMFG I'm gonna kill that kid...)

as I was saying, boat full of strangers, and I really hadn't given much thought to the situation. So I was grossly unprepared. (Yes, I know I should just "go with it", and not think too much, but it's gonna take time before I leave my cogitation security blanket behind, ok?) A little chit chat, she closed by indicating interest in getting together this weekend.

I thought about it on my way home. I would very much like to have a chat with her. I just want to be clear about where I'm at right now. I'm dating a lot of folks, and that's what I want to do. It doesn't mean I don't have feelings for people or develop intimate relationships emotionally or other wise. It does mean that I'm not exclusive. I also want to be clear with her that my friendship with her roommate is more precious to me than any potential romance right now. Being with my classmates is a source of fun and comfort for me, and I won't let anything make me uncomfortable when I'm with them. Classmate time is safe space time.

Now, that said, maybe I should have thought about this before Saturday. Yeah, maybe. I don't think it wholly precludes anything, but it sure sets some terms for continuation.

In other news, I'm feeling really good about my priorities in life. E-mailing my coach my erg score, writing my mom a note, and blogging were more important than responding to the messages in my in box from Match.com chicks. There was a time when I'd have been all about that. I think I have good balance now.

But now, I'll go write those Match.com chicks back. :)