Monday, May 15, 2006

Living in my body; living in my head

This weekend a friend pointed out that, because I find physical activity a source of psychological renewal, this keeps me very in touch with my body, and makes me tune into myself as a carnal being for better and for worse. It's an interesting idea. I like being very physical. I like responding to sights and sounds and tastes and smells. I enjoy my fondness of females.

Ironically, I'm often accused of living in my head. Over thinking, over analyzing, over intellectualizing.

But being hyper physical can be problematic, at times like the present, when my body isn't being what I need it to be to enjoy my existence.

She proposed cultivating a sense of self beyond the body, but not retreating into the incisive Western dichotomy-creating mind, more the Eastern, perfect one-ness of being mind. I'd be open to that.