Monday, November 13, 2006

Infidelity

I had a job interview this morning. I told my current job I had a "dentist appointment".

The interview went ok, and I'm not sure I'll take the job if offered or not.

I took some smug satisfaction in running around behind my employer's back. Felt like I was in the process of teaching them a lesson, teaching them not to ignore my requests for change. To value me more. It felt like the interview itself was an end, not a means, for me. That I just wanted to express my discontent and prove to myself that other people would want me.

I'll be curious to see if I get an offer, and to see what I'm offered. I'd like to sense my market worth.

I'm not sure I'd like some of the work. Helping a client figure out how to better direct market home equity loans is not very exciting. There's a difference between what I could do and what I want to do, work-wise. I want to find something I want to do. Not all of their work is dull, but I'd very much want to be sure I'll be on projects I like.