Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Kabuki Stewardess

After my two round trip flights to NYC in two weeks, I've come to notice that at least one Jet Blue flight attendant on each trip is assigned a very specific role: Cute Stewardess Wearing Too Much Blue Eye Shadow.

On the last flight, a blonde one was trying to look surprised, or had applied her face with an intentional since of irony: "Gonna make me be eye shadow girl today? Fine, I'll apply mine in the style of a 10 year old girl playing dress-up."

On today's flight, one otherwise lovely, young, ethnically Jewish or Italian brunette could easily pass for Japanese as her eyeshadow occupies all the space between her eyebrows and her eyelashes. Literally. All of it.

If it weren't obvious she were a woman, I'd think she was a man, impersonating a woman.

Which strikes me as somewhat sad. She seems the victim of a low self esteem fueled cycle of make-up escalation: "I'm not pretty; I need make-up. I'm still not pretty: More make-up." She'd be pretty if she'd let us see her actual face. I know she doesn't believe that.