Thursday, August 03, 2006

Rumble Rumble

Last night while chatting on the phone with M, I heard and felt what sounded like the approach of a large truck. But then it seemed more like my neighbor was violently shaking the wall. Or the entire building. Which was beginning to ripple and pulse. And everything in my apartment rattled. And then rattled harder.

There was no truck.

This was an earthquake.

I stood up. It stopped. I looked out the window and saw the neighbor across the street, who had been outside, run inside (they have small kids).

I stepped onto my back door balcony. Bewildered neighbors were poking their heads out of doors, seeking validation.

"Did you feel that?"

No, you're all on drugs. It was a mass hallucination.

It was a good one. Strongest I've felt since living in CA. 4.7, about 30 miles away.