Friday, April 21, 2006

I hurt my brain chemistry

Yesterday morning in the boat, I turned around and asked my teammate the physician if the prednisone I was taking for my poison oak could affect my mood.

"Because I've felt great this week!"

Yes, it could.

Crap. A mood altering substance that I like. Fear.

So I continue to work on tapering my dose down. My rash is mostly gone. I tried to get through yesterday on just 10mg.

By the middle of the day, I didn't feel so hot. All through the night, I felt terrible. Like the worst hangover ever. I felt dehydrated. My eyes were bloodshot.

I thought maybe I was deydrated. Sometimes I don't drink enough water.

That wasn't it.

I got up and dragged myself to the boathouse, and, thinking that maybe it was because I came off the prednisone too fast, opted to take one.

I began to feel better.

My teammate the MD arrived and I told him that I felt like death, and he was 100% sure it was because I was tapering my dose too quickly.

My brain hurts. I took another 10mg, went home to bed. I no longer feel like ass.

Chemical dependency is very frightening.